Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Freelance Writer Charisse Van Horn to follow George Zimmerman trial on three sites

Freelance writer Charisse Van Horn will continue her coverage of the George Zimmerman trial on three sites: Crime and Courts News; George Zimmerman Trial, Travyon Martin Murder Case and Tampa Crime Examiner for Examiner.com.

Freelance Writer Charisse Van Horn
You may ask, "Why so many sites, Charisse? What's the deal?" And I will be
straight up with you.

I'm biased.

Journalists are not supposed to be biased, and thankfully, I'm a blogger.

So, as you see, one site's address is "Travyvonmartinmurdercase.blogspot.com" and it links with the adjoining Facebook group: Justice for Trayvon Martin.

As a woman who is of mixed race, I found it extremely difficult to keep my
personal opinions out of this case, therefore I created the Facebook group where I can let go, be myself, and chuck journalism ethics to the wayside. The Facebook group has been terribly neglected for the past year, but now that the trial is heating up, it will be revived.


George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin
So, what is Crime and Courts News? Though a blog, I'm much less biased on
Crime and Courts News. I practice more journalism ethics here; however, I tend to stray from things I find confining, such as AP style writing. I really don't see the point of it and find it boring to say the least. This is a new generation, a new
era and things such as "All headlines must be written in present tense" irk me. I
find it ridiculous. So, though I will present a less biased point of view, you can forget about critiquing me on journalistic standards in my writing here because I really don't care.

Crime and Courts News follows the latest trial news and updates, but allows me
to interact with readers and I am extremely tolerant to ALL Opinions...(I might fight back on Justice for Trayvon Martin's Facebook group, etc.)

Now, Tampa Crime Examiner at Examiner.com is a news site, if I choose to write news. If I choose to write a news article there, it will be in AP downstyle, free from all bias and submitted to Google News. Sometimes I do write other types of content on Tampa Crime, but it is always free of bias.

So, there you have it.

Three sites, three styles, one freelance writer.

Are you going to follow the George Zimmerman trial beginning on June 10, 2013?



Books